Graham Huckerby is guilty – of saving another man’s life. Faced with the choice (at gunpoint!) of allowing his colleague to be shot by armed robbers or letting them onto the security van he was driving, he did what he had been trained to do; namely to comply with the robbers’ demands. This choice was construed by the police as an indication that he was the ‘inside man’ on the robbery. Graham’s appeal in 2004 was successful and he is now free. The prosecution is not seeking a retrial.
- Robbery conviction quashed thanks to journalist Hale: http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/2007/news/robbery-conviction-quashed-thanks-to-journalist-hale/
- Guard wins appeal against armed robbery conviction: https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2004/dec/22/ukcrime.helencarter
- Retrial relief for ex-policeman wrongly jailed for robbery: http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/local-news/retrial-relief-for-ex-policeman-wrongly-jailed-1059519
- The inside man or just a victim?: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2854903.stm
- Journalist exposes another miscarriage of justice: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/journalist-exposes-another-miscarriage-justice-2413111